I've hit the McCall pattern before, but realizing I need to expand my top wardrobe a bit, I picked up several patterns for tops as well as a shorts pattern.
They are sitting upstairs and I'm too lazy to get them, so perhaps I'll list them another time.
My birthday was Thursday, and being the holiday weekend we were granted early release at work (3pm!) and of course had Friday off. I'm a big fan of rolling 3 day weekends into 4 day weekends by taking a day off on either end. I took Monday off. I ended up only being able to sew for one day, but that was quite alright, because this pattern was only 4 pieces.
Vogue 9771 is cut on the bias with the front and back being one solid piece, not cut out on the fold. The other two pieces were arm facings and a neck facing. I guess that actually totals five. No idea how I passed math.
The shirt is a cowl neck top with optional sleeves, caps or sleeveless. I chose sleeveless, as it was VERY hot during the week. Of course it's been overcast for the last four days so I haven't been able to wear it but that's par for the course.
Cool things about this project:
I cut a straight 10, no alterations. It fits exactly how I want it to, and looks great paired with a high-waisted skirt I have for work. I wanted to take my time and work on finishing, as I generally rush through and don't care much about how it looks inside. This time I actually finished all seams with either bias binding or french seams.
I have never sewn bias binding before or made it for that matter, and I didn't have a bias maker, so I used the old pin and ironing board method. It was wonderful! I will never again leave a seam unfinished or a sub-par rolled hem finish, especially with facings. I made that error on my last project, the dress, and I so badly want to rip out those yucky rolled hems and update with bias binding. I still have some blue fabric left so I could easily do this.
Joann's sale included 50% off notions wall, so I bought two bias makers.
The french seams were just an extra step that gave the whole garment a more RTW vibe.
I will force my self to use this technique at all times, but it is very time consuming.
The top is upstairs so these are the photos I took a few days ago. There is only one of the finishing, which is really just a shot of the bias binding, but more soon, promised!
This pattern called for silk or silk like fabrics. I used this yellow cotton batiste that I had in the stash. I love the way it drapes and I don't think it was a bad choice. That said, I will most definitely be making this pattern again (and again, and again!) and will choose a different fabric next time to experiment.
I think this is all that's fit to print. Ciao!