Friday, January 9, 2015

Completed: Renfrew the Stripey (PART DEUX)

After my first run-in with stripes, and my traditional off-by-one error, I knew I wanted to revisit the issue.  You know what they say, practice makes better!

I've been sewing a lot of basics, and I really like view C of the Renfrew because it feels a bit dressier than a plain t-shirt but it wears like a plain t-shirt, win!

I was super careful on cutting this fabric. It's a nice drapey rayon-cotton knit that I grabbed out of a remnant bin at Hancock fabrics for $6. It's about 1.5 yards? This time, I used a sharpie to trace outside the pattern and cut then, instead of trying to keep everything from shifting around with pattern weights.

The same changes were made this time that I also made to my cozy renfrew - extended bands. I'm starting to think I need to double check the sleeve height, as every single time I have made this pattern the sleeve has not fit correctly into the armsyce.

Here it is on the dressform! I'm incredibly pleased with my stripe matching this time!

1 comment:

  1. I love the jacket as I love color. I am giving this pattern a second look. For those sleeve sewing woes, try a technique that Peggy Sagers teaches. Insert the sleeve by sewing with the sleeve next to the feed dogs. http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/replay_03_14_2011.htm
    This can be done with the sleeve and jacket side seams sewn also, but is a bit fiddly if sometimes necessary. This is a sew along part 2, and the process of setting in the sleeve begins at 22:39.


Next Post Previous Post Home